14 May 2019

R.I.P. Doris Day

Doris Day has always been one of my mum's favourite singers and her beautiful, unique voice often filled our house when I was growing up. Long before I began watching her films, I listened to her songs. She was so much part of my childhood that I felt quite sad to hear about her passing yesterday.


Doris began her singing career in 1939 as a big band singer, scoring her first big hit with Sentimental Journey with Les Brown and His Band of Renown in 1945. A few years later she started a highly successful solo career, spanning several decades and recording hundreds of songs. But it was with Les Brown that Doris had her first success and in 2012 when Les was honoured at the Les Brown Centennial Festival, Doris sent the following heartfelt letter to 'Friends of Les', remembering those early days with Les and his band.


Source: Les Brown Big Band Festival

Transcript: 

February 29, 2012

"Friends of Les" 
c/o Mr. David Miller
3 Greenview Court
Little Rock, AR 72212

Dear Friends of Les,

It's hard for me to write this letter because most of the boys in the band are no longer with us, except Stumpy Brown and Frank Comstock. I speak with them often, and we talk about the good old days that were really great. We always remember something funny that happened during our years together.

Everyone in the band was so wonderful to me, and I truly loved them all. They took care of me since I was very young, and they treated me like a sister. I miss them when I think back to those good times.

There was a good reason why everything went so beautifully, and Les was that reason. He was so nice, so considerate and so thoughtful that I just loved him, and I really miss our telephone calls that we had through the years. When I remember those band days and all the wonderful songs I sang, I smile and wish I could do it all over again. 

I know that when you read my letter, Les will be listening, so I am sending my love to him right now, this very minute!

Love, 

Doris 

P.S. Love you, Les!

Dodo

(Handwritten)
Doris Day

With my love to all the boys in the band

D.D. x x x




No comments:

Post a Comment