26 May 2019

Dear Bill Holden

Fredric March and William Holden starred together in two films, i.e. Executive Suite and The Bridges at Toko-Ri, both released in 1954. March, who belonged to an older generation of Hollywood actors being 21 years Holden's senior, was one of Holden's acting idols. In September 1950, a month after the release of Billy Wilder's Sunset Boulevard starring Holden in one of his best roles, March wrote the following letter to his younger colleague praising his performance in the film. Holden must have been thrilled to receive this letter from March, not knowing he would be working with him (twice even) in a few years' time.


Transcript:

130 E. End Ave
New York 28 NY

Dear Bill Holden

Yesterday Mrs March and I saw "Sunset Boulevard", and I think yours is one of the finest performances I've ever seen. 

Some months ago, my eighteen year old daughter pointed out to me some very glowing things you had said about my work. So, even at the risk of this sounding like a mutual admiration society, I could not resist telling you what I felt about your truly superb job. 

Keep it up - (+I'm sure you will). All good wishes to you and yours. 

Sincerely,

Fredric March

September 25th, 1950

Above: William Holden as Joe Gillis with co-star Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard.

William Holden and Fredric March in Executive Suite (above) and The Bridges at Toko-Ri (below).

1 comment: