16 September 2014

Still in a daze about my Oscar...

During her career, Ingrid Bergman won an Academy Award three times. Twice she got the statuette for Best Actress (Gaslight (1944) and Anastasia (1956)) and once for Best Supporting Actress (Murder on the Orient Express (1974)). In her first Oscar-winning role --the demanding role of Paula Alquist, a woman driven to madness in Gaslight-- Ingrid Bergman was directed by George Cukor. A few days after the Academy Awards Ceremony, which was held on 15 March 1945, Bergman wrote this sweet note to Cukor thanking him for his insightful direction. 

Source: bonhams/ image reproduced with permission

Transcript:

March 18,  - 45

Dear George-----

I am still in a daze about my Oscar and I can hardly express my-self in any language, but I wanted very much to tell you how grateful I am to you for your help and understanding of my poor Paula in "Gaslight."

Yours,

Ingrid

Charles Boyer and Ingrid Bergman in a scene from "Gaslight"
On the set of "Gaslight" with Ingrid Bergman, George Cukor, Joseph Cotton and Charles Boyer

No comments:

Post a Comment