10 April 2020

My face lit up with delight and pleasure

Jurassic Park (1993) was a huge success upon release. It became the highest-grossing film ever at the time, holding that record until Titanic in 1997. Of all the congratulatory letters director Steven Spielberg received following Jurassic's premiere, there was one he cherished in particular. The letter-writer was a classic Hollywood actor whom the director had long admired  Douglas Fairbanks Jr.. Unfortunately I don't have Fairbanks' letter to show you but Spielberg's charming reply, written two weeks after the film's premiere, can be read below.

Source: Doyle

Transcript:

June 22, 1993

Dear Mr. Fairbanks,

As you might have guessed, I've received a lot of wonderful, congratulatory letters about JURASSIC PARK, both about the film and the business it's doing. But no letter compares to the way my face lit up with delight and pleasure when I received your kind note.

You must know what a tremendous fan I am of you and your history in this industry I so dearly love. Your letter to me means so much, and I'm sure if you visit my office, you'll see it framed against one of the walls. 

All my best and thank you again,

(signed)
Steven Spielberg

No comments:

Post a Comment