3 April 2019

Doris & Lucy

In 1968, Doris Day started her own television show The Doris Day Show which would run successfully for five seasons until 1973 (at its peak watched by some 13 million households!). During the show's run, Doris was also offered to do a television special with a main focus on her songs. The Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff Special was recorded in the summer of 1970 and aired by CBS on 14 March 1971. Following the show's broadcast, Doris received lots of praise, also from fellow actress Lucille Ball whom Doris sent a sweet thank-you note five days after the show (as seen below)

Doris Day and Lucille Ball, two of the greatest comediennes ever. Unfortunately they never got to work together.

Charmed by Doris' note to Lucy Ball, I searched the web to see if I could find more about these two ladies together. Apart from what I already knew they were both animal lovers (Doris still is at 97 (!) and with Lucy she had raised money in the 1970s for Actors and Others for Animals) I came across an interview from Lucy with Doris for Lucy's radio show, recorded on the set of Doris' film Do Not Disturb (1965). The interview is simply delightful and while it's been on YouTube since 2012 I had never heard it before. From the interview it's quite clear that Doris and Lucy liked and admired each other a lot. (I especially love the part where the women discuss their different styles of acting, i.e. Lucy liked to rehearse while Doris liked things to be spontaneous.)

So below you'll first find Doris' note to Lucy, written on 19 March 1971, and then the wonderful interview from Lucy with Doris which was recorded six years earlier.

Via: icollector.com

Transcript:

March 19, 1971

Mrs. Gary Morton
1000 N. Roxbury Dr.
Beverly Hills, Calif. 90210

Dear, Dear Lucy:

It made me so happy that you enjoyed my special and it made me even happier that you told me so. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and again, thank you for taking the time.

Hope to see you soon.

Love, 

(signed 'Doris')
Doris



This post is my contribution to THE THIRD DORIS DAY BLOGATHON, hosted by LOVE LETTERS TO OLD HOLLYWOOD. Click here for a list of all the other entries.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS!!!

15 comments:

  1. The interview is new to me as well. What would we do without the inestimable YouTube?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of great stuff to be found there. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Lucy and Doris were two of the brightest stars that were ever on TV! If you put all three of Lucys hit shows together you get 18 seasons!! I LOVE LUCY, THE LUCY SHOW, & HERES LUCY-six seasons each. They were all on CBS as was THE DORIS DAY SHOW which ran for five seasons. Both Lucy and Doris worked with MARY WICKES, a great character actress. I wonder if they were friends with Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know about the Mary Wickes connection.
      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Good question. Mary Wickes was always fun to watch and seemed to be in every other movie I saw while growing up.

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful interview – thanks for sharing it. Genuine warmth between the two women, which is refreshing to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun discoveries! That interview has made my day. Thanks so much for bringing these treasures to my blogathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've listened to the interview myself a few times already, it makes me happy :)
      Thanks for hosting this great blogathon!

      Delete
  5. How fascinating. I never knew of this connection, but I've always kind of linked Day and Ball in my mind as exceptional female comediennes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were two of the best!
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. How nice! I really wishe they had worked together, considering that the admiration was mutual.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a couple on classy ladies. So talented and other of them totally unique. I miss them and the fun they brought to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder what Doris Day
    and Mary Tyler Moore thought of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder what Doris Day
    and Mary Tyler Moore thought of each other.

    ReplyDelete